7 Things You Should Know About Anons ( The Announcement) of the Most Discussed Movies of 2018
Undoubtedly, one of the most prominent films of 2018 is Mahmut Fazıl Çoşkun’s “Anons”. So much so that the tragicomic film did not return from the festivals with empty handed. This film of Mahmut Fazıl Çoşkun, whom we know from Yozgat Blues and Uzak Ihtimal( Wrong Rosary), attracts attention with its dark and hoarse structure, long plan shots, tragicomic and hopeless atmosphere. Although the film appears to present a serious situation, the fact that it tells the story of a tragicomic condition. Let’s take a look at what you need to know about “Announcement”, one of the most talked about movies of 2018.
- In the film which was shot by Mahmut Fazıl Çoşkun, whom we know from movies such as “distant possibility” and “Yozgat Blues”; actors like Ali Seçkiner Buyer, Murat Kılıç, Müfit Kayacan, Serkan Ercan, Nazmi Kırık, Hayrullah Tarhan Karagöz, Erdem Şen, Şencan Güleryüz and Erdem Şenocak are starring.
- The film emerges from a story told by the director’s brother.
- It is known that the director started the film script writing together with actor Ercan Kesal about four years ago.
- The subject of the film is as follows:
The story of the extraordinary journey of the four soldiers who were liquidated from the army was discussed. Colonel Reha, Major Rifat, Major Kemal and Lieutenant Şinasi take part in the Istanbul leg of the coup. These four soldiers believe that the coup will be successful with a sufficient declaration. In this way, they think they will attract the people. They plan to read a similar announcement which previously read in Ankara, on Istanbul Radio. The movie tells the story of this night. With this plan, they are sure that the coup will succeed. The only thing they do not account for is the invisible power of civil life…
- The film is interpreted by the director in the following statement: “The tragic events contains humour inside. I see that the situation in Turkey. In fact, rather than a coup film” The Announcement” is the story of Turkey’s modernisation and westernisation. Therefore, we all know that the modernisation process is known to be a bit harsh and coercive in countries as this situation is seen more clearly. In the west, that process goes step by step even though sometimes step backs happens. But when this process does not go like this, some hilarious events can happen.” (Interview with Mahmut Fazıl Coşkun, Karma Turkey-10/18/2018)
- The film premiered at the Venice Film Festival. And the festival received the “Special Jury Award” at the Horizon (Orizzonti) section!
- The movie received four awards at the 25th Adana Film Festival, “Yılmaz Güney Special Award”, “Film-Direction Best Director Award”, “Best Director of Photography” (Krum Rodriguez) and “International Competition Jury Special Award”.
- The Announcement was also named by the Hollywood Reporter critics as one of the Top 25 Films of the Autumn Festivals.
- The director, on his inspirations for the film, says: “The humour in The Time Regulation Institute, is a non-competing and my favourite one in Turkey. The year is also near, the 1960s. I think Ahmet Hamdi Tanpınar died in 1962 and his last book was The Time Regulation Institute. While I was looking for the spirit of that period, I met Tanpınar and The Time Regulation Institute. I’ve been inspired. I put in the film a little bit. I put a picture of Tanpınar. I gave the character his name. The surname of the manager in the movie is the surname of the character in the The Time Regulation Institute. (Interview with Mahmut Fazıl Coşkun, FilmLoverss – 04.10.2018)